top of page

Harleston Drill Hall

The area to the right of the cadet hut near the roadside was the site of Harleston Drill Hall. Built in 1902 and which some might remember as the PYE factory.


In a newspaper report covering the official opening, much was made of the skylight running most of the length of the large building, 40ft by 100ft and 36ft high at the ridge. Designed by Pell of Beccles and built by local builder

Arthur Rayner, based in Anna Court off the Redenhall Road, there was also an Armoury, a residence for the Drill Instructor, a store and an Officers Room - most impressive.


During WW2 the residence attached to the Drill Hall which was the home of Company Sergeant Major Charles Henry Chamberlain of 4th Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment. He died during WW2 on 26th February 1942 near Singapore.


The Drill Hall being demolished in the early 90s.



Comments


bottom of page